Springtime Chicken Stew
- 4 Slices smoked streaky bacon, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Free-range chicken, cut into 6 pieces, skin on
- 2 tsps Kosher Salt
- 2 tsps Ground Black Pepper
- 1 White Onion, small diced
- 3 Cloves of garlic, small chopped
- 2 tbsps Salted Butter
- 2 cups Playdate Tempranillo Rose
- 3 Fresh Parsley Sprigs
- 2 cups Free Range Chicken Stock
- 2 cups small red bliss potatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 lb pound fresh asparagus, woody ends trimmed and cut into 1inch lengths
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh spring peas
- 1 Loaf of Crusty Fresh Baked Bread (for dipping)
Method: Serves 4-6 people
1. Place a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the smoked bacon. Cook for three or four minutes, until the bacon fat renders and the bacon is beginning to get color. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the bacon into a bowl, leaving the fat behind in the pan.
2. Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in batches (so as not to crowd the pan) for about four minutes on each side, then transfer to a tray and repeating until all the pieces are a golden in color. Keep all the fat that has accumulated in the pan.
3. Sauté half white onion and 3 gloves of chopped garlic till onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant 4. Return the bacon and the chicken to the pan, not forgetting the juices in the chicken tray. Pour in the rosé, herbs, and top up with enough chicken stock to just cover the chicken pieces and 2 tablespoons of salted butter. Pop the lid on the pan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Once simmering, rest the lid on top, simmer over a medium to low heat for 40 minutes.
5. After 40 minutes, add the potatoes. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender (push a sharp knife through them and it should slide in). Check the seasoning add kosher salt and pepper as necessary
6. Once the potatoes are tender, add the asparagus and peas and cook for a further two or three minutes before stirring in the fresh thyme and parsley to taste. Check seasoning and once seasoned to your liking, put the lid on and bring to the table.
7. Serve with a warm crusty bread of your choice, and a bottle of Playdate Tempranillo Rosé :)