Red Wine Burger with Aged Cheddar
- 1 cup Faustini Malbec
- 3 tbsps Sugar
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
- 4 slices, Aged Cheddar
- 1 1/2 tsps Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 tsps Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Hamburger Buns (your favorite)
1. Place wine and sugar in a sauce pan over medium high heat and bring to a gentle boil. Continue to boil (not crazily--turn down the heat if the boil is too wild) until the mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup. This will take 25-30minutes. Once reduced, remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a non stick pan over medium heat and add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are a golden caramel color and very sweet. This will take 25-30 minutes. If the onions start to burn you can turn down the heat a little bit and/or add a sprinkling of water to the pan. Once onions are caramelized, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium high heat.
4. Once the wine mixture has cooled enough to touch, crumble the ground beef into a large bowl. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup red wine and gently mix with your hands . Gently form the meat mixture into 4 patties. Place patties on the grill and grill for 4 minutes per side or until cooked to your liking.
5. Add cheese on top of burger and let melt for 1-2 minutes
6. To serve, place the burgers on split (and grilled, if you can manage it!) buns. Top with caramelized onions, and remaining wine sauce. Enjoy!