Coffee-Marinated Skirt Steak
January 1, 2015
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 cup strong coffee (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak cut into 4 pieces
Whisk shallot, garlic, coffee, vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, oil, and 1 tsp. of the black pepper in a medium bowl. Pour half of marinade into a resealable plastic bag. Add steak, seal bag, and turn to coat. Let sit at room temperature 1 hour. Cover remaining marinade and set aside.
Prepare the grill for medium-high heat. Remove steak from the marinade; discard used marinade. Season steak with salt and pepper and grill, turning and basting often with the reserved marinade. Cook 8–10 minutes for medium-rare. Let the steak rest 10 minutes before slicing.